Friday, December 23, 2011

domestic faux pas

Becoming a wife has certainly had it's ups and downs. Prior to marriage I felt I was pretty domestic. I cooked. I baked. I decorated. However, my new role and balancing all things has brought out some opportunities for laughing. At myself. 

Faux pas numero uno: A few weeks ago I was hurriedly hanging some last minute wreaths inside, one being over the sink. As I took the decor down that usually dons the area, the nail fell out of the wall, plinked around in the sink a few times, and before I could grab it went straight down the disposal. Uh-oh. I gingerly fished my hand around to no avail. I fessed up to the hubs pretty quickly, and not being able to find the nail himself, he just assumed it was small enough to slide down the drain. {Confession... I might have incorrectly categorized the nail as a "finishing" nail. Which I later learned it was about 4 times the size of. Lesson learned} CSB tried the disposal and it turned on for a second and the stopped. Uh-oh, again... Needless to say, CSB and I spent the better part of last Saturday morning on a nice little "home maintenance" project called free-the-nail-from-the-disposal. We rescued the poor little nail after taking the entire disposal apart. I'm so thankful for a handy husband! 

Faux pas numero dos: On Tuesday, while multi-tasking to the extreme, I was wrapping presents, baking a chicken casserole, boiling chicken for a meal I was cooking for another family, and cleaning up before we traveled for the holidays. When the chicken casserole was done, I took it out and set it on top of the stove to cool. Around the same time I turned the chicken back on to boil for my other recipe, as I realized it needed a little more time. I continued cleaning and whatnot, not thinking much of my cooling casserole or boiling chicken. After a couple of minutes I heard something boiling/bubbling, but not the chicken. My casserole was still bubbling. I just assumed it was still hot (as it had been bubbling when I took it out of the oven). After another few minutes I noticed the water in the chicken was still not boiling and that the chicken casserole was bubbling at a higher rate. It was at this point, 10 minutes after my chicken casserole has been boiling on the stovetop that I realized I had turned on the wrong burner. Needless to say, it was not the most moist or delicious chicken casserole I've ever made! 

I'm two days behind on my blogging 'til the baby! I'lll try to make up for it today. :) 

1 comment:

katie lake said...

I do some pretty ridiculous stuff as well. My cooking skills are pretty basic, my cleaning skills can't keep up with our two large dogs, and honestly I mispronounce things a lot which is funny to my english teacher husband.