Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NYE 2011

New Year's Eve is one of my least favorite holidays, second only to Halloween. Yea, bah humbug, I know... I don't dislike the actual holiday, or celebrating it, I'm just not one to really like going out with large crowds, eat at restaurants that are and hour or more behind on reservations, or to be out on the roads later in the evening. I am all for celebrating, just not going out to do it. I would much rather be at home with a group of friends watching the countdown in NY than anywhere else... Now that I officially sound like a crotchety old woman, I will proceed to share our evening. 

{I'm sad this is the only picture we have from the evening}

This NYE was basically the opposite of everything I just described as not liking {it was still great, we will just do things a little different next year}. We went back and forth on what we wanted to do, finally deciding to get tickets to a NYE party at the Peabody Hotel. A crowd of 10 or so other friends also planned to get tickets for the same party... Needless to say, 9:00 p.m. NYE rolled around and only 4 of us had actually purchased tickets, leaving the other part of the group finding out the party was sold out. We again went back and forth and decided to still go to the party while the rest of our friends settled in for drinks in the Peabody lobby. We went in, waited in line for 15-ish minutes, and eventually made it upstairs to the ballroom in which the party was being held. The was a large crowd gathered in the middle of the room, extending to the perimeter, and a somewhat smaller crowd gathered in front of the band. At closer look we realized the large crowd was merely the bar lines... There were probably 75-100 people in each line. And said people were probably barely of drinking age {if even}, making our crew feel a little, um, old. With the rate the lines were moving, there was no chance we would be toasting in the new year with a little champagne. After an approximate 30 second discussion, we made our way to the door and back outside. We sold out wristbands to some poor people dying to get into the party and met up with the rest of our friends. Needless to say the Peabody was packed, too. However, we made the best of it, enjoyed a drink, and rang in the new year with friends before calling it a night. 
I guarantee we were in bed by 12:30. I told, you, exciting!

All in all, it was a great weekend, so I truly cannot complain about the evening. It was fun to get dressed up and great to catch up with friends and talk about our resolutions at midnight. 

I was also really proud of my hair-fixing skills for the evening! I originally planned to wear it down and curled, however, my stubborn locks refused to be curled after being straightened early in the day, no matter how much hairspray I used. So up they went.  So easy, too!

Excuse the awkward mirror picture... I cannot seem to make normal faces when taking them. 

Again, Happy 2012! 

No comments: